Clos St Patrice
The origin of the Saint Patrice name goes back to the 18th century and the time of Jean DE POWER, ambassador of Châteauneuf-du-Pape wines in Ireland. Centuries have shaped the Clos, its vineyards and its wines. In 1838, Clos Saint Patrice was known as “one of the best vineyards in Chateauneuf-du-Pape” (Vaucluse Yearbook 1838). Writings attest to the reputation of the Clos which was described as “the oldest Cru of Châteauneuf-du-Pape” in the 1920s. In 2009, Guy Jullian and his son Jérôme acquired the Clos.
Samuel Montgermont, who manages Maison Grandes Serres in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, tasted the Clos Saint Patrice wines in 2014. When he learnt of the Clos’ terroir, lying over a limestone bedrock, he was immediately impressed. To him, the wines of Saint Patrice present the very best of what the Châteauneuf-du-Pape appellation has to offer: finesse, balance, power and minerality. Located in Châteauneuf-du-Pape village centre, with a soil composed of pebbles and silica, Clos St Patrice – so long overlooked – has undergone a renaissance courtesy of Samuel Montgermont and the Jullian family. 2015 saw the start of a new chapter in the Clos Saint Patrice story with the birth of the first Châteauneuf-du-Pape monopoly.